My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.unpastiche.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, February 28, 2011

A little update on my homemade vanilla extract

Time really flies, it really does.

I first started making own homemade vanilla extract when I started the blog, and now, my blog is already 2 months old! I still remember thinking, gosh, it'll take ages for the vanilla extract to start smelling like a real vanilla extract. Fast forward to today, 28 February - my vanilla extract is 2 months (+2 days) old and is ready to be used! And I've to say that minus the vodka hit that I got from first opening the bottle, the extract smells exactly like Tahitian one I have :)

Here's how my baby looked last month (at 4 weeks old):

Here's how my baby now: 

And yes, I've upgraded it to a larger jar (which is $2 from Daiso), so that I can submerge the vanilla beans with ease and add more vodka when needed. Although the color difference isn't too great from one to two months, the flavor really does intensify - I occasionally open the jar up to smell the vanilla extract and it really smells better and better! Whoever said that vanilla was like wine was right on the money! It really is better with age - it becomes more mature, and there is more depth to the smell. Taste-wise, I can't tell yet because I haven't tried it in my baking, because I intend to age it for a little while more, AND finish using my existing bottle of vanilla extract before I strain this extract (to get rid of the fibres from the pod) and start using it :]

I might even do a giveaway when this vanilla extract is mature enough (in my opinion), so do stay tuned!  If you want to make your own homemade vanilla extract, all you need is a jar, a knife, some strong alcohol, and some vanilla beans! And lots of patience of course! It really is that simple!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! I'd been trying to look for a means to make vanilla extract and looking at your success is definitely very confidence boosting!

Shirley @ Kokken69 said...

Yes, I have seen a few people make this. Really neat but I have never tried to make these myself- good vanilla pods are not cheap too. I am lucky that I travel often enough to allow me to load up on good vanilla extract at a cheap price :)

Xiaolu said...

Thanks for the feedback about the wheat thins on my blog. I've been making my own extract for a while now too. I got some cheap organic beans online a year ago and they've lasted me a while. With the frequency at which I bake I definitely think I've saved money over buying extract in stores :).

shaz said...

Ahh, I have seen this around the blogs too, but I don't know if I have the patience to do it. Well done for taking all that time, looks like it's paid off :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...